While many of us still love the idea of a cabin in the woods, next to a lake, with nothing but a notebook and fountain pen to dip into while inspiration flows, modern-day novel writing is much more about fitting writing into real life, and knowing the ins and outs of the writing process.
Here are some of the best articles on the Now Novel blog about modern-day novel writing:
- How to develop a story: 10 steps to a winning plot – Read 10 tips on how you can develop your fledgling idea into a successful plot.
- How to plot a romance story: 6 tips to sizzle – Read 6 tips to turn your low-chemistry romance story into a page-turning sizzler.
- Book writing online: 10 effective tools for writers – learn about 10 useful tools for writers that can make your task much easier.
- Five great writing tips from J.K. Rowling – Read writing tips from the celebrated YA fantasy author J.K. Rowling.
- How to create a fantasy world that everyone will believe – Learn simple rules for creating fictional worlds that feel real.
- How to plot a novel: 7 tips for success – Learn 7 tips to turn your novel into a well-plotted read.
- 5 character background writing tips: Better backstory – Learn the ins and outs of giving character backstory while avoiding the dreaded ‘expository lump’.
- Novel structure: 7 tips for structuring your book – Read tips for giving your story the satisfying structure that carries readers from chapter to chapter.
- How to create a satisfying story arc: 5 steps – Learn all about story arcs and why a great chain of cause and effect is necessary for a good story.